We see plastic used in almost all aspects of our life; it’s in the food we buy, in the gadgets we use, and even in the skincare products we consume! Taking part in the sustainable way of living would eventually lead to transitioning from easy-to-purchase mass-produced skincare products to buying more environmentally conscious items that are free from chemical toxins and plastic packaging.
As simple as the idea might seem, It is not as easy to follow through on—especially when you’re used to particular skincare regimen for your face. To do so, one needs to put in some conscious effort and dedication to make the shift a success. It will be a big challenge, but the results are most definitely worth the effort.
If you are up to the challenge, we have some tips to help you get started to having a zero-waste beauty routine.
1. Always remember and apply the 5Rs
- Refuse – If someone offers you something you do not need, learn to say no to it. It is the simplest way to reduce your waste, but it is also the hardest to master. Learn to make smart purchasing decisions by creating a goal early on. If you know what you want to achieve, it will be easier for you to stick with it.
- Reduce – If you know that there are specific things you cannot let go of, then that’s fine—you can apply the second step, which is reducing the amount to bare necessities! Always go for the minimum amount to limit your waste. For example, instead of buying two or three products to moisturize your skin, why not settle for the best one? Consider buying a big reusable bottle instead of several sachets of one product—this way, you don’t just save money, but you’re limiting waste too!
- Reuse – Because of the “throwaway” culture in modern society, people have generated an unimaginable amount of waste and plastic all over the world. You can help limit the waste by replacing all single-use plastics with reusable ones. Invest in reusable cotton pads, for example, so you don’t have to buy multiple packs of cotton each year.
- Repurpose – If there’s one item that you cannot refuse, reduce, nor reuse, consider repurposing them before you junk it for good. Other people refer to this method as upcycling. For example, you can use your empty bottles as a flower vase or pen holders—by adding a little creativity, you can turn trash into treasure almost instantly!
- Recycle – If all of the steps above don’t work for the products you use, then it is time to recycle. More companies are establishing recycling programs that will give a new life to the majority of waste products you have.
2. Be mindful of what you eat
Choosing fresh food options eliminates packaging waste. Moreover, it is one step towards a healthier lifestyle for you! Eating fewer processed foods mean less packaging waste, while also promoting healthier and more youthful, glowing skin. This lifestyle change does not need to be abrupt—you can start in small steps and gradually improve your dietary habits.
3. Be mindful of the packaging
Related to our second tip, when you buy anything, try to choose products that have recyclable or sustainable packaging—or better yet, go for ones with no packaging at all! Just imagine where all the packaging of the items you see in a grocery store would go if they are not recycled or repurposed. They would either end up in a landfill or the ocean! Choosing a more mindful option gives you the power to prevent more waste from piling up somewhere and destroying our environment.
You might think that you can only do so little, but do not underestimate the power of starting and the power of influencing. It is in these baby steps that a ripple effect starts and a change is achieved. We wish you the best in your journey to a zero-waste future!
If you are looking for sustainable and safe products for your family, Organic Covet has the best skincare brands for you. We have organic skincare and organic makeup that can help you jumpstart or continue your healthy and planet-friendly journey. Check out our products to know more.